Arctic research in my life

- is much funnier wearing orange vinyl trousers

June 13, 2013

First day in field

Yesturday I started my measurements in field. It was a beautiful day with a lot of sun and warm temperatures. Really surprising that the arctic June weather allows you to work in tank top and walking around barefoot, i.e. climate warming ;)

We started to prepare everything at 9 and came to the field quite late, like 11.30 or something. The original plan was to measure on 48 plots, 24 on each side of a snowfence. Unfortunately the snowfence works very well and the snow hadn't melted yet, so I only had 24 plots to measure. We, me and Riikka, were back at the station at 18, so it was a quite long day (I also wrote an exam from 07.00 to 09.00..). 

Well everything work well and I'm glad it is finally summer! Enjoy the pictures! 

Not very green yet. But very smelly, so there are defenitly VOCs.

One block at the snowfence experiment. As I said, it is still snow downwind from the fences.

The site

Measurements going on. in control and warming (open top chamber)

A very nice view from the site. Sea, icebergs and the horizon.

The snowfence works!


I think that I took the wrong plane, and ended up in Africa instead of the arctic.

No comments:

Post a Comment