Arctic research in my life

- is much funnier wearing orange vinyl trousers

February 23, 2013

Start of PhD and lab-work


Many new things have happend since last time I wrote. I've got an office at CENPERM and have got my computer installed and almost everything is working out fine. The only thing that remain is the registration at the PhD school, and before that won't I have acces to the network on CENPERM.

I've started an experiment where I measure VOCs from frozen microcosms (brought to Denmark from Abisko and Zackenberg). No one has ever measured VOC emission from frozen samples before, and if we find any significant emission it may have implication on the carbon budget in the high arctic. I took some pictures from the lab, showing the instruments and everything in action. The samples are stored in freezers where the temp right now is -5°C. And I will measure again when the temperature is raised to +2°C. 

The microcosms are put in chamber bases and the chamber is put on top. Everything is air tight  and clean air is pumped in to the chamber and sucked out through the metal tube which is filled with VOC absorbants. 

So, the VOCs are trapped in the metal tubes and will later be analysed in the GC.

The freezer is kept closed during the measurements. With the lights on. 
This is the toolbox which filter the air (clean it from O3 etc.) that is pumped into the chamber, and also the vacuum tubes that "suck" the air trough the tube and out from the chamber.

Protocol, where everything is noted thoroughly

No comments:

Post a Comment