Arctic research in my life

- is much funnier wearing orange vinyl trousers

November 11, 2011

Finaly i'm doing my thesis

This week I started my bachelor thesis. To summarize it's about the effect of grazing on plants. Do the biomass allocation differ if plants are protected from grazing or not. I started this summer in Ritsem (norhten part of the swedish mountain chain) by collecting plants and now am i analyzing them to see if there is a diference between them or not. Simple research, but fun! The laboratory work went out fine and Robert (my supervisor) came up with the idea to see if the Nitrogen and carbon isotope kit is the same in the protected and unprotected plants. This resulted in more lab-work, which i'm more then happy to do! The roots and leaves are grinded and then sent to a guy (Alf) in Örebro for further analysis. Good for me to have more data and more topics to link together.

 Vaccinium viti-idaea (Lingon)
 above/below ground parts- to get the biomass

Bistorta vivpara (ormrot) 

The leaves and fine roots that was grinded for the isotope analysis 

the powder of leaves or roots...

nothing more about this at the moment! have a nice weekend! cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment