Arctic research in my life

- is much funnier wearing orange vinyl trousers

August 28, 2011

Since I didn't go to Svalbard, I had to do something else for my bachelor thesis. Me, my boyfriend and two friends where hiking in Sarek for two weeks. It was really awesome! Sometimes it was really wet but we hade some really nice days to. Yeah good time.

On our hike


Lars and I on a top


The four of us on Skierfe

The others went home to gothenburg again and I travelled on to Ritsem to meet up some other guys from the university. We stayed there for about ten days to do a biodiversity inventory. We hade a really good time up on a mountain with stunning views of Akkah (see picture below). One day it was hail and another day snow, but most of the time it was just cloudy and +5° C. In my project I'm looking at plants to see the how they allocate the biomass between the above ground tissue and the under ground tissue. Some plants were taken from inside a fence and some were found outside the fences. So I'm trying to see if they allocate the biomass differently if they have been exposed to grazing or not. It took me five hours to collect the plants, the rest of the time I was working with the inventory together with the others. 



Every morning we went up on the mountain with a helicopter, just to save time. In the afternoon we were walking back to the house where we slept, it was a one and a half hours walk. One day we saw a lynx outside the window, really nice!

 The lynx outside the house

The Akkah mountains 

 The hellicopter flight. Me and Mattias

Well I had a great time in the swedish mountains and hopefully I'll go there soon again! This semester I'll spend a lot of time in the lab on the university, to measure all the plants. I'll try to write more often!
Love

No comments:

Post a Comment